Travels with my camera

A micro four thirds camera is so much easier to carry than a DSLR so my E-P2 goes everywhere with me. Arty, serious, frivolous, documentary or just plain fun. It will all be here.

Friday, May 21, 2010

Watertrails

One type of picture I really, really envy are those pictures of water running over rocks where a long time exposure has been used to turn the water, once bouncing and splashing over the rocks into ghostly trails. But I've never been in the right place at the right time to do anything about it. Whenever I've been in waterfall locations it's always been in bright sunshine and I've not been able to get a slow enough shutter speed to blur the water. Until today. This afternoon I went out for a drive looking for pictures and ended up passing by Elk Lake near Baldwin Township. The afternoon was cloudy and I wasn't expecting much until I drove past the end of the lake and saw the water dropping (plunging is too much of a word the water only fell about 15 inches) over the outlet. I immediately knew what I was going to try to do. So I had enjoyable 40 minutes or so just trying things out with as slow as possible shutter speeds, adding an ND2 filter etc: to try and get the effect I wanted.



The pictures aren't exactly how I'd like, the water trails aren't as "ghostly" as I'd like. That might be down to the amount of water or the shutter speed I don't know yet, but for a first attempt they keep me happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment