Travels with my camera

A micro four thirds camera is so much easier to carry than a DSLR so my E-P2 goes everywhere with me. Arty, serious, frivolous, documentary or just plain fun. It will all be here.

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

A photograph is a photograph

So, on Tuesday we visited the gallery of Jim Brandenburg in Ely, MN. It was a treat to see so many great pictures. The last time I saw an exhibition of his work was for his "Chased by the light" book over at the U of M many years ago.
However, I did see something there that sort of disturbed me. There was a selection of his photographs that had been reproduced as Giclee prints on canvas so they took on the look of an oil painting. Now you're quite welcome to disagree with me but a photograph is a photograph. It shouldn't masquerade as an oil painting. No matter how much the subject matter looks like it could be an oil painting.
Just my twopenn'orth

No comments:

Post a Comment