Travels with my camera

A micro four thirds camera is so much easier to carry than a DSLR so my E-P2 goes everywhere with me. Arty, serious, frivolous, documentary or just plain fun. It will all be here.

Sunday, May 16, 2010

Red Columbine (pad 46)

Yet another example of doing things I wouldn't normally do for the sake of the picture a day project.
I don't know how many of you are familiar with the wildflower the Red Columbine. I didn't know what one was myself until this morning. I saw one while I was out on Friday at Sherburne and it took an email from my brother in law this morning to tell me what one was. So now knowing what it was I decided to try to get another picture of this plant. As you have seen from my friday shot the flower points down and I though it would be an interesting shot looking upwards in the structure of the flower. We have several of them in our back yard in the shade of the house so you'd think getting a picture would be pretty easy.
You'd be wrong. Most everywhere I tried to shoot from the eaves of the house got in the way, (the plant likes shade). It took ages to contort myself into a position where the roof didn't destroy the bokeh. Then it took at least another half an hour to get a shot I was happy with as the flower got blown all over the place in the breeze. To be honest though I wonder if this is the right shot. I've focussed on the wonderfully twisted stamen of the plant. I now wonder if focussing on the backlit petals with their delicate veins might not be a better shot. Decisions decisions... But this shot does make me happy so you'll have to wait for another day for some delicately backlit petals.

No comments:

Post a Comment