Travels with my camera

A micro four thirds camera is so much easier to carry than a DSLR so my E-P2 goes everywhere with me. Arty, serious, frivolous, documentary or just plain fun. It will all be here.

Monday, May 3, 2010

Some reflections

I've had the camera for some 6 weeks now and completed a month of pictures for my picture a day project. So its time to sit and reflect a while.
Firstly the camera. I couldn't be happier with it. I'm now getting used to the controls and the small 3-way control dial that seemed so small when I first got the camera doesn't seem all that bad. In fact I can quite easily change settings while looking in the viewfinder.
Oh the viewfinder. It's a gem. I'd be lost without it. Several times on the p.a.d. project I've found myself in situations where setting the camera up made using a conventional camera quite awkward. With the EVF I just tilt it and bingo! Viewing is easier.
I've spent the first 6 weeks exclusively using the 14-42mm lens. Pictures are sharp colours are great. It's an excellent lens.
Two weeks ago I uploaded firmware 1.1 to the camera and did notice an improvement in the performance with the autofocus.
I've now added the Panasonic 45-200 lens to my outfit and though I've not had much chance to use it yet, the results seem pretty good, certainly sharp. The one thing I have noticed with it though is the sluggish autofocus in dull conditions. The duller the light the slower it gets. Is this all down to the lens or is some of this to do with the camera? I don't know. But the lens is certainly fit for purpose, witness the picture from May 1st.
So six weeks in I can't complain. I'm taking some pretty good pictures. Though I do miss not having a swish looking DSLR strapped around my neck. But then I think how heavy that would be and I don't miss it anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment