Travels with my camera

A micro four thirds camera is so much easier to carry than a DSLR so my E-P2 goes everywhere with me. Arty, serious, frivolous, documentary or just plain fun. It will all be here.

Sunday, April 11, 2010

What? Whaat? Whaaat!

When I'm not photographing or working I run Marathons. I have 13 of them under my belt so far. Many early weekend mornings are spent pounding the roads around my home town getting in my long runs. Todays run was 15 miles. Not too difficult. Running is great, I get time to think about things or even look for photographs. The best thing is you never know what you're going to see out there. Things like this...
Yep, thats an airplane in someones front garden. OK I didn't take the pic while out running. I came back later.
It's not just an airplane it's a bit of modern aviation history. It's a Foxjet ST600. From what I've been able to research three ST600 mockups were made in the late 70's to illustrate the concept of a small lightweight executive jet that could fly out of smaller regional airfields. So I assume that this is one of those three mockups from 1977-78.
The concept was years ahead of its time and was only really hampered by the choice of power its Williams WR44 turbofan was also selected to power the cruise missile and thus the US military decided that a civilian concern couldn't have access to such a piece of military hardware. Thus killing the project.
So there we are a bit of aviation history in my town. A pretty interesting run.

No comments:

Post a Comment