Travels with my camera

A micro four thirds camera is so much easier to carry than a DSLR so my E-P2 goes everywhere with me. Arty, serious, frivolous, documentary or just plain fun. It will all be here.

Friday, March 26, 2010

Macbeth: Act 1, Scene 3: A heath near Forres

William Shakespeare certainly never came to the Sherburne Wildlife Refuge near Princeton, MN. But if ever a place matched the description of "Blasted heath" it is here.
It's very early spring here so everything is still asleep from the winter and some of the trees must have undergone a prescribed burn recently as there are a lot of blackened trees and logs about. All in all its a very eerie place. Eminently suitable for Hollywood to come and remake "The Scottish Play" or some kind of post apocalyptic drama...
Above: It wouldn't take much of a leap of imagination to see the army of Macbeth marching towards us...
Above: Here perhaps, the witches have been turned into trees by some strange supernatural powers
Above and below: Strangely changing the images to black and white doesn't make them any more eerie than the real thing
Below: Bent and twisted trees litter the landscape on the Blue Hill walk.
An awesome place that is only a handful of miles from my home, yet this is only the second time I've been there (shame on me).

1 comment:

  1. I am a high school English teacher and I love your Scottish heath photos. I am putting together an online version of the play so that my students will have the text to read. May I use your first photo on this page to introduce Act I scene i? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete