Travels with my camera

A micro four thirds camera is so much easier to carry than a DSLR so my E-P2 goes everywhere with me. Arty, serious, frivolous, documentary or just plain fun. It will all be here.

Monday, March 22, 2010

How (not) to buy a Camera

So, at the end of the last post you left me outside National Camera Exchange in Maple Grove, MN., preparing to purchase a new camera. Here we go...
OK, so we know I'm dead set on an Olympus camera and this I explained to the associate behind the counter. He showed me the Evolt 510 and the 620 one had a bit of a hand grip on the front of the body but no tiltable LCD screen the other had the tiltable LCD screen but no hand grip. both were features that I wanted on my camera. Build quality was good but not reassuring in the way that my E-20 and E-1 were. I was sunk, the only other SLR they had on the shelves was the E-3 which is the replacement for the E-1 as much as I loved my E-1 I didn't want to go all the way down the Heavyweight DSLR outfit road again I was supposed to lightening the load. I was this close to asking to look at a Canon.
Then the associate asked me if I heard about the Micro four thirds range from Olympus. I replied that I had but had only read about the EP-1 and it only had an LCD monitor to look at while composing your pictures.
The assistant bought the EP-2 off the shelf. It had an electronic viewfinder attatched to the hot shoe so you didn't have to look through the monitor. He placed it in my hands.
Have you ever had that feeling when buying something that you instinctively know you want it?
I had one of those as soon as I wrapped my hands around the compact body. It was metal. It was solid. It felt comfortable in my hands. I looke into the viewfinder. It was bright and clear.I had to have this camera.
BUT.
It's not a DSLR, it's way smaller. If anything it's like a rangefinder camera, much as the original Pen from the 1970's was. I was very confused. I mean I was really confused.
I grabbed hold of the 620 again hoping to get a positive "buy me" vibe from it.
Nothing.
The assistant showed me a second hand Olympus Evolt "somethingorother" body but I wasn't interested I can't even recall what the body was. I was in shock.
Sensing my interest in this camera the assistant placed the Evolts back on the shelf and showed me a Panasonic Lumix a close relative of the Pen. It had a pop-up flash the EP-2 didn't, not really an issue for me as I had a Olympus flash that worked with the EP-2. Besides the Lumix wasn't as nicely built as the EP-2.
So after a few more minutes agony I gave in and went for the EP-2.
I traded in my E-1, lenses and power pack as a down payment (for a somewhat disappointing sum it has to be said but I didn't want to go through the hassle of selling it myself). This was to be the most up to date and expensive camera I'd ever bought.
"I'll just check and make sure we have one in the back" said the assistant. After a moment or two he returned.
"Im sorry, we're out of stock here." He said. "They have one in Edina, you can go and pick it up or it can be sent up here." He added.
No problem have it sent up. I don't need it until the weekend of the 20th anyway. He called in the transfer gave me a receipt and told me to call on Tuesday and I was on my way.
Afterwards my wife and I sat in LeeAnn Chins I was still numb. I still didn't believe what I did. This would be a total shift in my attitude to photography.
Tuesday afternoon came and I called the store.
"Hi can you tell me if my EP-2 is in today?" I asked giving my name.
"I'll go and look" said a cheery female voice.
I waited.
I waited a bit more.
And more.
The assistant who sold me the camera came on the line.
"I'm sorry sir. They've sent the wrong camera"
"WHAT!! YOU BLITHERING INCOMPETENT FOOLS HOW CAN ANYONE SEND THE WRONG CAMERA!!!" Was what I felt like saying. But I'm not like that.
He was most apologetic and assured me that the correct one would be here on Thursday, or I could go down to Edina and fetch it mysefl"
"WHAT YOU PEOPLE SCREW UP MY ORDER AND YOU WANT ME TO PUT IT RIGHT. FORGET IT! CANCEL THE ORDER I'LL PICK UP MY TRADE IN CASH IN AN HOUR. YOU'D BETTER HAVE IT READY!" No I didn't say that, as much as I wanted to. I still didn't need the camera until the weekend so I was prepared to wait until Thursday.
Thursday came. I picked up the phone and inquired about the status of my camera.
"Hello Ian" said the nice female voice.
Know me by name? Must be bad news. They've lost the camera.
"Miraculously your camera has come in."
Has it? Woo Hoo! I'll be there tonight.
There. Thurdsay night I had a beautiful new camera. Roll on the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment