Travels with my camera

A micro four thirds camera is so much easier to carry than a DSLR so my E-P2 goes everywhere with me. Arty, serious, frivolous, documentary or just plain fun. It will all be here.

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Ees Fire! Ees Fire!

Its not often my disparate hobbies of Marathon Running, Model Railroading and Photography all pull together but yesterday they did.
Early on Saturday morning I was out for a run as part of my marathon training regime. A brisk six miles. Lovely. As I ran through town I saw at least nine fire engines, from town and out of town. None however had their sirens on. I couldn't quite fathom out what was going on. Firefighters convention perhaps? Some kind of charity function? No idea. So I carried on running and put the thoughts of the fire engines to the back of my mind. If it had been a blue sky sunny day perhaps I would have pursued the idea further because the fire engnies would have looked pretty neat shining in the sun. But it was grey and damp.
Later in the day I went down to the local Model Railroad club and as a matter of conversation I asked about all the fire engines I'd seen in town earlier.
"Oh they're burning someone's old house down so they can build a new house in its place."
A controlled house burn? I'd heard of controlled burns on nature reserves to control and stimulate vegetation growth. But instead of just knocking a house down? Very unusual. I was sure they were pulling my leg. Anyway about three in the afternoon a fleet of fire engines passed the clubroom. So when the club was over I headed back home making a short detour the way they had come from. Sure enough, when I got to the end of the road. There was a smoky mess where a house used to be and still standing proud in the smoke, the remains of the brick built chimney stack. So I headed home to pick my camera up to get the picture you see below.

No comments:

Post a Comment