Travels with my camera

A micro four thirds camera is so much easier to carry than a DSLR so my E-P2 goes everywhere with me. Arty, serious, frivolous, documentary or just plain fun. It will all be here.

Thursday, March 25, 2010

First impressions

This post isn't a review just a set of observations after my first shots (115) with it.
I think it's fair to say that I like this camera a lot.
There's a lot to like. Lightweight, small and easy to carry and handle.
Like all Olympus cameras that I've had before, the operation seems quite intuitive. The instruction manual did seem somewhat complicated at first. But after a few minutes working out the control dials, operation seemed to come quite easily to me.
There's eight modes. Yes eight, perhaps that's needlessly complicated. But I'll endeavour to try them all. Except perhaps the HD video. I've already got a HD video camera thank you very much.
This last weekend I shot nearly all the pictures in P (Program - fully automatic) mode. I think the pictures show that it works very well like that. I also used the iAUTO function that automagically selects the right scene mode, i.e Landscape, Portrait, Macro etc; depending on what you focus on. Line up a shot on the Duluth waterfront, it picked landscape. Pan over to the wife and close in on her face, it picked portrait. I've no idea how it does it, it just does.
On top of that you've also got 4 different formats you can set the sensor to. The standard four thirds format 4:3. You can change it to 6:6 square format (looking forward to trying that out.) 3:2 more traditional film proportions and 16:9 the widescreen format, my other favourite.
That, is as far as I've got so far. There's a whole load of flash modes, film speeds, art filters and whoknowswhat in there to discover yet. Quite how a proper camera reviewer can cover it all is quite beyond me.
I love the VF-2 electronic viewfinder, it's so bright and clear. I wouldn't have bought the camera if that wasn't available. I abhor LCD screens on cameras. It definitely makes the camera look like an old rangefinder camera with that viewfinder on.
What don't I like?
I can only find two things so far. I find the main control dial in the camera back a tad too small at the moment. There's a rotary dial, a four way button and a single button on it and as yet my fingers aren't used to it. It's easy to change to a different function when you are trying to change one function.
The other thing? I know LCD monitors are useful to review shots you've taken. But I just seem to cover this one with fingerprints. So I'll have to find one of those iPhone screen protector thingies and put it on the LCD screen. My E-1 actually had a plastic shield over its LCD screen.
So, half day off work tomorrow, looking forward to trying the camera out again.

No comments:

Post a Comment